The American Dental and Medical Institute provides California Board approved Dental Assisting (DA) courses for aspiring RDA candidates.
Requirements for Unlicensed Dental Assistants:
(1) A board-approved course in the Dental Practice Act.
(2) A board-approved 8 hour course in Infection Control.
(3) A course in Basic Life Support offered by an instructor approved by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association.
The employer of a dental assistant shall be responsible for ensuring that the dental assistant who has been in continuous employment for 120 days or more, has already successfully completed, or successfully completes, all of the following within a year of the date of employment:
How to Obtain California State RDA Licensure:
(1) Complete Board-approved courses in: Coronal Polishing, Radiation Safety,
Dental Practice Act, (8) hour Infection Control
(2) Proof of Basic Life Support (CPR) course.
(3) Submit fingerprint clearances from both the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations.
(4) Pass 3 Exams
• A hands-on Practical examination performed on a typodont.
• A computerized Written examination.
• A computerized Law and Ethics written examination.
Once this process is completed and an applicant is found to be qualified for licensure, a pocket identification card and wall certificate are issued. There is no license fee required for the initial license other than the initial application and examination fees.